Friday, March 6, 2020

Sonlight Books I would have skipped


I realize this is incredibly subjective and when it comes to books, I am picky.  I just wish my boys, particularly the one that struggles with reading could have been spared a couple of these reads.

Samuel B. Morris: I would have enjoyed a summary of his life, rather than a biography.  We found it very dry.  It does give kids a wonderful look at perseverance in the face of constant failure and setback.

The Journeyman: I so wanted to love this book.  Since Elizabeth Yates is such a prolific, wonderful writer- I'll have to chalk this one up to taste. Amos Fortune should be on every reading list, so I should have stopped there.

Mr. Popper's Penguins- Not just Sonlight, this book seems to be everywhere.  I just hated it. I wanted to find it charming, like Five Little Peppers, or No Children, No Pets. I just COULDN'T. I actually found the story very unimaginative.  I mean, it is creative to think of a man keeping penguins in his basement, but it's like that was the only idea and an entire book had to be drawn out from exactly one idea.  We couldn't wait to finish and almost quit.

 Slopes of War:  This one isn't Sonlight's fault.  After all, it's discontinued.  I should have gone with Shades of Grey for Civil War History but NO- It just had to be on that Goodwill shelf for half off just at the right time.  As much as I love a story about falling in love with your first cousin as much as the next gal.... I ......Just.....can't.  My boys are still over American History because I ended on this note.

  And here it comes: The book that will get me kicked out of the Sonlight club: Carry On Mr. Bowditch.  So dry...So long...so much ship talk... you're becalmed again, we get it.  I just so wish I was the kind of person that liked Carry on, but alas- I'll choose that bratty Johnny Tremain anyday just so I don't have to experience another becalmed ship.


   I will be adding to this list..

No comments:

Post a Comment